Lido Wellness Center Blog
Signs of Repressed Childhood Trauma in AdultsDecember 29, 2023
At Lido Wellness Center in Newport Beach, we often meet individuals seeking to understand the inexplicable patterns in their lives – fractured relationships, unexplainable anxieties, or an inner turmoil that seems to have no origin. These experiences may be whispers from a past that affect our present more than one might think. Repressed childhood trauma, a complex and often elusive adversary, can linger into adulthood, shaping behaviors, choices, and emotional health.
Here we will delve into the signs of repressed childhood trauma in adults and how understanding these can be the first step toward healing and personal growth at a mental health outpatient program like ours.
Jump to Section
Unraveling Repressed Childhood Trauma
Repressed childhood trauma is akin to a shadow that follows you silently. It’s the result of the mind’s attempt to protect itself, burying painful memories deep within the subconscious. But, as with most buried things, they tend to resurface, often in unexpected and confusing ways.
Repressed trauma doesn’t always knock on the door of our consciousness with clear memories. Instead, it often manifests in subtle, yet impactful signs:
- Unexplained Emotional Outbursts: Sudden, intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the current situation may be echoes of a past unresolved trauma.
- Difficulty in Relationships: If you find yourself repeatedly in tumultuous relationships, or if intimacy feels fraught with anxiety, it might be trauma influencing your attachment style.
- Chronic Anxiety or Depression: While these can have various causes, they are also common responses to unresolved trauma, especially if no direct cause is discernible in your current life.
- Dissociation: This feels like being disconnected from your body or emotions. It’s a defense mechanism, a form of psychological escape from reality, often developed in response to trauma.
- Unexplained Physical Symptoms: Trauma can manifest physically in ways that evade medical explanations, such as chronic pain, fatigue, or gastrointestinal issues.
- Fear of Abandonment: If you find yourself in constant fear of being left alone or rejected, it might be a sign of trauma affecting your sense of security.
- Self-Sabotaging Behavior: Engaging in behaviors that are detrimental to your wellbeing, like substance abuse or self-harm, can be a way of coping with unresolved trauma.
Understanding the Impact of Childhood Trauma
Childhood, a time when the mind is malleable, is also when we’re most vulnerable to lasting impacts from traumatic experiences. Trauma during these formative years can fundamentally alter how we perceive the world, ourselves, and others.
One of the most profound impacts of repressed childhood trauma is seen in adult relationships. The patterns established early in life, often as survival strategies, can become maladaptive in adulthood, leading to a cycle of broken relationships and emotional turmoil.
Approaching Repressed Trauma
Healing from repressed childhood trauma is a journey that requires courage, patience, and professional guidance. At Lido Wellness Center, we believe in a holistic approach:
- Acknowledgment: The first step is recognizing the possibility that your current struggles may be rooted in past trauma.
- Therapy: Professional therapy is invaluable. Techniques like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and talk therapy can help unearth and process repressed memories.
- Support Groups: Sharing experiences with others who understand can be incredibly validating and healing.
- Self-Care: Engaging in activities that promote physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing is crucial in the healing process.
At Lido Wellness Center, we specialize in helping individuals unpack the baggage of their past. Our outpatient program is designed to provide the support and tools needed to navigate the complexities of repressed childhood trauma.
Healing from trauma is not about erasing the past but about reclaiming your story. It’s about understanding the why behind your emotions and behaviors, and gently rewriting the narrative of your life.
Finding a Future
Recognizing the signs of repressed childhood trauma is the first step towards a healthier, more aware self. At Lido Wellness Center, we are committed to walking this path with you, offering a safe space for healing and growth. Remember, the shadows of the past don’t have to define your future.
If you recognize these signs in yourself and are seeking help, contact Lido Wellness Center today. Let’s embark on this journey of healing together.